Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | iHeartRadio | Pandora | Stitcher | Amazon Music
In this episode, Beth Shaw shares how you can use Yoga as a tool to transform your mind, body and spirit, how you can address addiction and mental health issues such as depression and anxiety through Yoga.
Beth is a pioneer in the Wellness, Yoga & Fitness space in North America. She played a critical role in the widespread growth of yoga throughout the U.S. and Canada. In 1994, she founded the global mind-body education school, called YogaFit, which has since certified over 200,000 instructors worldwide.
Beth is also a best-selling author of several books including YogaFit, YogaLean, The YogaFit Athlete, and, Healing Trauma With Yoga.
She is a go-to yoga & mindfulness expert in the media and has been featured in numerous fitness, business and other publications including SELF, Yoga Journal, Huffington Post, New York Times, Time Magazine, LA Times, Entrepreneur, Washington Post, and USA Today.
Connect with Beth:
- Facebook (@BethShawWellness)
- Instagram (@beth.shaw.mind.body)
- Beth’s Books:
What we discussed during the show:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:58 Beth’s favorite quote: “Just for today.”
- 02:33 Beth’s background
- 03:40 Beth’s experience with addiction
- 04:53 How Beth played a pivotal role in the growth of Yoga throughout the US and Canada
- 06:03 How can Yoga be used as a tool to address addiction and recovery
- 06:45 How does Yoga help with mental health, specifically, anxiety and depression?
- 08:13 Other benefits of Yoga
- 09:03 How does Yoga transform a person physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually
- 11:05 About Beth’s non-profit organization – Visionary Women in Fitness
- 12:38 About YogaFit
- 13:38 Healing Trauma with Yoga
- 15:16 Beth’s lowest point in life
- 16:31 Happiest moment of life
- 17:29 What does ‘recovery’ mean to Beth
- 17:58 Who Beth looks up to
- 18:42 What do people often get wrong about her
- 19:50 What is Beth trying to learn
- 20:39 What is something Beth wished she knew when she was 20
- 21:09 Rapid Fire round – 5 Questions
- What’s on her nightstand: Three books – Consciousness Rising, Predictable Revenue, Healing Trauma With Yoga
- Favorite meal: A spinach salad with sauteed walnuts and blue cheese and beets
- Favorite resource / book: The Power of Now
- No. of hours of sleep every night: 7
- Favorite TV show: Sinners
- One thing she’s grateful for today: Her health
- 23:18 Beth’s advice to anyone struggling with addiction
Connect with @SoberSideChat
- Instagram: @sobersidechat
- Twitter: @sobersidechat
Other episodes you might find interesting:
- A Retired Police Officer on Dealing with Life on Life’s Terms
- One Day at at Time – A Life Story
- Living a Purposeful Life in Sobriety
- Embracing Discomfort to Begin Healing in Sobriety
- How to Use Meditation to Heal from Trauma & Addiction
- Dealing with Loss, Trauma and Addiction
- How to Make Life More Meaningful, More Alive
Listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Podchaser, or on your favorite podcast platform.